THANJAVUR ART GALLERY
The former palace of the Nayaks of Thanjavur, once viceroys of the Vijayanagara rulers and later
hereditary rulers, is a wonderful and extravagant piece of architecture,
built in 1600. The huge enclosed compound encompasses a complex which includes the Art
Gallery, the Saraswati Library and the Sangeetha Sabha or Music Hall.
A gigantic tower, the arsenal, decorated with bands of arches form the external fašade. One
enters into a hall which is the sculpture gallery where examples of south Indian stone sculptures
dating from the Pallava to the Nayak period are exhibited.
Frescoes, painted a hundred years ago in the glass pianting style of
Tanjore, adorn the walls of the Durbar Hall, while on a stage stands
the marble statue of the Maratha king, Serfogi. From a magnificent
bronze collection the earliest and smallest date to the Pallava period
while the most important are Chola. Sixteen great Natarajas depict the
various stages the cosmic dance. An outstanding piece is a 12th century Nataraja from
Thanjavur Art Gallery
Palace Buildings, Thanjavur.