Khajuraho, once capital of the Chandela dynasty, is today known for its magnificent temples. In 1910, W E Jardine, the then political agent of Bundelkhand, displayed a collection of objects which he had gathered from the temple complex, in an open air enclosure near the western group of temples. First called the Jardine Museum the name changed to Archaeological Museum in 1952.
Most of the 2000 objects are masterpieces of Indian sculpture. The Nritta Ganesha, a colossal image depicts the elephant-headed god dancing while his attendants keep rhythm; a marvellous Hari-Hara representing the deity whose right half is Shiva and left Vishnu manifests the perfectly conceived unity of the two gods.
Other outstanding pieces are a huge Parvati, Shiva as Andhakasuravadhamurti where the deity is shown wielding his trishul on a demon, a seated Bhairava and Sadashiva.
Khajuraho, Tel: 43230